Ceredigion Association of Voluntary Organisations

Concessionary Travel Pass


The All Wales Concessionary Fare Scheme, funded by the Welsh Assembly Government and Local Authorities, entitles people over 60 and people with certain disabilities who are resident in Wales to travel free at any time of day on local bus services throughout Wales.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible you must firstly be a permanent resident of Ceredigion.

Then you also need to satisfy one of the criteria listed below.

  • Are you a man or woman aged 60 or over?
  • Are you a Disabled Person, within one of the following categories?
    • Are you blind or partially sighted?
    • Are you profoundly or severely deaf?
    • Are you without speech?
    • Do you have a disability, or have you suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk?
    • Are you a person who does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms?
    • Are you a person who has a learning disability?
  • Have you been refused a driving licence on health grounds?
    • Are you a person who, if you applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988 have your application refused pursuant to Section 92 of that Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

We do require a recent passport sized colour photograph. Please print your name on the reverse in case it gets separated from the application form.

Where do I apply?

You may either apply by post:

Corporate Passenger Transport Unit
Canolfan Rheidol
Llanbadarn Fawr
SY23 3UE

Or present your application at one of the Customer Service Centres – Local Offices.

What does the concessionary travel pass offer?

The Travel Pass entitles the pass holder to unrestricted free travel on registered local bus services throughout Wales. (N.B. Only those bus services registered in their entirety as local services with the Traffic Commissioner may participate in the scheme).

How do I use the travel pass?

  • Board the bus.
  • Hold the concessionary pass in close proximity to the ticket machine with the photograph face up. This will electronically register the pass and confirm it is valid.
  • The ticket machine will acknowledge that the pass has been read and will respond with a bleep, a green light and may issue a ticket.
  • Take your seat

You must show the driver your travel pass on all occasions to ensure free travel.

Further Information

  • The travel pass is available free of charge.
  • Lost, stolen or damaged travel passes can be replaced by contacting the Corporate Passenger Transport Unit. Please note there will be a £5 charge for issuing replacement passes.
  • Changes of address or circumstances should be brought to the attention of the Corporate Passenger Transport Unit.
  • Concessionary Travel Passes are not transferable, and are issued to allow free travel to the pass holder only. Where a Companion pass has been issued, the Companion will only be permitted to travel at the same time and on the same journey as the pass holder.
  • Allowing someone else to use the pass may lead to it being cancelled and/or its renewal being refused.

To read more about the Concessionary Fare Scheme and to apply please click here