Brilliant Basics Fund
Brilliant Basics is a new Wales wide fund that will support public, third sector and not for profit organisations to:
- deliver basic small scale tourism infrastructure improvements, and
- ensure that all visitors to Wales have a positive and memorable experience throughout their stay.
This new fund will build on the previous rounds of funding via the Tourism Amenity Investment Support scheme (TAIS). TAIS was launched in 2017, and supported through the Welsh Government Rural Communities Rural Development Programme 2014-2020 (RDP), funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD), and Welsh Government.
Under the previous TAIS funding rounds, only rural wards in Wales were eligible under the RDP rules. Now, with the addition of non-EU funding, the scheme is being extended to those areas outside of the rural wards as part of the new Brilliant Basics. This will ensure that all parts of Wales are able to benefit from the new fund. For those projects located within the eligible wards, Brilliant Basics will continue to be part funded through the Welsh Government RDP EU Programme.
Funding of up to £10m for 2020 to 2025 will be available to prioritise projects that will:
- develop quality visitor experiences with a Welsh sense of place
- enable a wide range of visitors to access and enjoy new wellbeing opportunities
- improve access to facilities and project an inclusive view of Wales
- invest in facilities that enhance Wales’ adventure offering
- contribute to key WG tourism initiatives including the Year of Outdoors campaign 2020 – 2021 and The Wales Way
- encourage clean, green destinations for example through sustainable infrastructure improvements
- proactively promote a sense of place, culture and language
- provide year-round facilities across all parts of Wales
- invest in world-class experiences and events facilities
Support of between £25,000 and £128,000 is available for projects with a total eligible expenditure of £160,000, with a maximum intervention rate of 80%.
To find out if your project is eligible for support, please:
• read the guidance notes
• contact your Regional Tourism Engagement Manager (RTEM) to discuss how your project meets our priorities and eligibility criteria
• fill in the Expression of Interest form (provided by your RTEM)
Expression of Interest – Key Dates:
• call launch: opens 23rd January 2020
• completed forms: send to email@example.com no later than 12 noon Friday 28th February 2020.
- completed EOI’s will be submitted in direct competition with one another and it is expected that there will be significant demand for the grant available
- assessment of EOI’s against first stage eligibility criteria outlined in the guidance document
- successful proposals will go through to the second stage and be invited to submit a full application by 12 noon 24th April 2020
- appraisal of the full application will be in accordance with the scheme assessment criteria and eligibility rules
- there is no guarantee that any proposals will be approved for funding at either stage of the application process
- see previous projects funded via TAIS 2017-2018.
Please contact your RTEM for further information.
For general enquiries on wider tourism investment support, contact us on:
Phone: 0845 010 8020.