Healthy Homes, Healthy People is a practical, community-based project that works across Wales and the South-West of England supporting people to have:
- Warmer homes
- Safer homes
- Healthier homes
Our team of Community Workers offers a range of advice, support and referral options tailored to the needs of the household. Currently support is delivered over the phone, including 3-way calls to other providers and agencies to ensure households get the most accurate and useful information. Over time, as Covid-19 guidance allows, our Community Workers will also be offering support in people’s homes, for those that need it.
As Katrina, our Lead Community Worker says:
‘We focus on providing practical measures that make it easier for people to heat their houses and live in safe, healthy homes. This can be different for each person we speak to, and we all enjoy having those conversations with householders, discussing the range of support we can offer and what they would find useful’
Healthy Homes, Healthy People is open to everyone, but some of the services we refer to have their own eligibility criteria. The support we can offer includes:
- Energy: help and advice with understanding energy bills, support with fuel debt, tariff-switching, smart meters, savings and discounts (e.g., Warm Home Discount)
- Water: information, advice and support with tariff reductions and water meters
- Heating: support with applications to Nest, a Welsh Government-funded scheme, providing replacement boilers, central heating systems and insulation to qualifying households
- Income maximisation: support and signposting for benefit checks andcouncil tax reductionapplications
- Home adaptations: support accessing grab-rails, level access showers, stair lifts etc.
- Priority Service Register: free registration with gas, electricity and water providers for qualifying households
- Home safety measures: carbon monoxide awareness, smoke alarms and locking cooker valves – information and advice for all and devices for qualifying households
- Connection to the gas network: support to apply for gas connection vouchers where eligible
Healthy Homes, Healthy People is delivered in partnership with Community Energy Plus and National Energy Action with funding support from Wales & West Utilities. Our work is delivered in conjunction with a range of organisations from across the public and third sector including the Nest boiler replacement scheme, water companies, CAB, Care & Repair, local authorities and a number of local, community-based organisations.
If you, or someone you know, is finding it hard to heat their home, or if you would like to discuss referring people you support to our project, please get in touch.